James Pimm, a farmer's son from Kent, began trading as a shellfish-monger in 1823 on Lombard Street, London before moving to nearby No.3 Poultry, also located in the heart of the City of London. There he established Pimm's Oyster Warehouse and it was here in 1840 the he first served his fruit cup punch.
Pimm's restaurant became very popular and in 1865 the business was sold, and again in 1880, this time to Horatio David Davies, who formed the 'Pimm's' brand into a private company and thanks to his society connections, made the drink fashionable.
In the 1969, the brand was taken over by Diageo and the gin-based 'Pimm's No.1' was catapulted in the international drink market, however the remaining 7 versions of Pimm's (#2 - scotch, #3 - brandy, #4 - rum, #5 - rye, #6 - vodka, #7 - tequila) were dropped, although No.6, which was made with a vodka base was later reprieved.
The rich amber hue of PIMM'S No. 1 comes from infusing lots of lovely gin with herbal botanicals, caramelised orange and delicate spices.
Spicy cola and cinnamon dominate the nose, with hints of orange zest and freshly roasted coffee. A bittersweet orange and herbs lead the palate with camomile, cinnamon, star anise, liquorice and dark chocolate.