Deanston is housed in a former cotton mill in the central Highlands that dates back to the late eighteenth century. The buildings were converted in to a distillery in 1966. It was acquired by Invergordon in 1972 but ceased production in 1982 and was mothballed until 1990. Deanston is now operated by Distell.
About 15% of the whisky produced at Deanston is reserved or bottling as a single malt, with the remainder being reserved for blends.
The Deanston distillery is situated in the Highlands. It lies close to the town of Doune, southwest of Perth, known for its manufacture of “doune pistols' (the first shot fired in the American war of independence allegedly came from one). Its buildings, designed by Richard Arkwright (who invented the Spinning Jenny), date back to 1785, when it was a working cotton mill, driven by the waters of the River Teith. In its heyday it employed 1,000 people and housedwhat wasthen the largest waterwheel in Europe.
In 1966, the buildings were converted into a distillery, partly due to the plentiful supply of water from the river and the cool humid conditions of the weaving shed perfect for ageing fine malt whisky.
Deanston's style is one of purity emanating from the river on whose banks the distillery lies. Analysis of the Teith's soft waters found it was perfect for malt production. It flows from feeder streams high in the Trossachs, through granite and peat beds, and is considered one of the purest rivers in Scotland.
Deanston uses only unpeated Malts from Angus, East, Lothian and Moray, to produce a light, nutty, malty and restorative style of whisky.